Home Inspector In Moncks Corner vs Indoor Environmental Inspector Moncks Corner
Scope of Work
Home inspectors will evaluate a home to identify any "material defects" present in the structure. Specifically, they are to evaluate:
- the roof system of the house,
- the attic,
- all other parts of the exterior of the home including drainage,
- the operation and condition of the fireplace,
- the electrical, plumbing, and heating/cooling systems,
- the foundation of the house,
- the basement or crawlspace,
- and the operation of doors and windows through random sampling.
Their inspection will be non-invasive. A written report will be issued, noting any material defects in the house.
Indoor Environmental Inspector:
Scope of Work
The Indoor Environmental Professional or Inspector will evaluate the property's environmental state, including its contents. They will:
- create a sampling strategy for fungal conditions,
- take samples,
- interpret the data coming back from the laboratory,
- and if any remediation work is necessary, to write the scope of work.
Where Home Inspections In Moncks Corner, SC Fall Short Finding Major Indoor Environmental Issues
Examining the standards for home inspectors issued by the International Association of Home Inspectors will reveal that there are many exclusions to their work. Some of these involve the air quality present in the home. Exclusion Section 2.2 states that the home inspector will not assess:
- "the presence of mold, mildew, or fungus,
- the presence of airborne hazards, including radon,
- air quality,
- the existence of environmental hazards, including lead paint, asbestos, or toxic drywall."
Thus you should not expect the home inspector to evaluate for any of these issues. And you probably don't want them to as the Indoor Environmental Inspector has very industry-specific certification requirements.
What Is The Typical Cost For Home Inspection Services In Moncks Corner, SC
Costs for home inspection services will be affected by the size of the home. The average cost for the inspection of a home of 2,000 square feet will be around $400.00. Larger home inspections can easily cost $600-$800.00. One industry source indicates that some home inspections will increase by about $25.00 for every 500 square feet over 2,000 square feet. Some areas of the country may have higher or lower average costs. Other supplemental inspections for radon, termites, or water or air quality, will be additional. Some prospective buyers are will to pay for specialized assessments of fireplaces or may hire a structural or mechanical engineer.
What Is The Typical Cost For Environmental Inspection Services In Moncks Corner, SC
The type of testing that needs to be done will figure greatly into the cost of these services. An additional factor is how many samples will need to be taken. Generally, testing for mold is the least expensive testing. The average cost for a home of 2,000 square feet is from $300 to $400. Assessments for asbestos averages $775.00 and generally involves at least three lab tests per type of material. The state will determine how many tests need to be taken. Testing for VOCs can even be more costly. Discuss the scope of the work and what the cost will be.